Tuesday, 29 May 2012

After the Snow by S.D. Crockett

From Goodreads : I'm gonna sit here in my place on the hill behind the house. Waiting. And watching. Ain't nothing moving down there.

The valley look pretty bare in the snow. Just the house grey and lonely down by the river all frozen. I got to think what I'm gonna do now that everyone gone.

But I got my dog head on.

The dog gonna tell me what to do. The dog gonna help me.

The house look proper empty – don't it dog?

You just sit quiet in these rocks Willo.

Set in the haunting and barren landscape of a new ice age, After The Snow is the story of fifteen-year-old Willo, a "straggler" kid who loses his family in the opening pages. Completely alone, he is immediately flung into an icy journey of survival, adventure, friendship and self-discovery – with only the dog spirit inside his head to guide him. Meanwhile, across Britain, outlawed followers of survivalist John Blovyn are planning an escape to the fabled Islands talked of in a revolutionary book..



My Rating: 4 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : After days of continuous snowfalls, when Willo returns home everyone was missing, his father, his step mother, the entire village was gone. Cold and alone, Willo heads to the city to find his father. Soon he rescues a dying girl named Mary. Willo must save her; also he has to go to the city to solve this tangled mystery.

A Savage World

Set in a post apocalyptic ice age, After the Snow is a story of survival where civilization has fallen, humanity has deteriorated into savagery and barbarism, but still there is small beam hope. This post global warming era is somehow our mirror to the not very distant future. The streets are in chaos, people are trying to rob each other for food, and warm coats are luxury in endless winter. Undertaken by a ruthless government, author S.D. Crockett took us to a disordered society that runs on anarchism where everything is disoriented.

A Wild Boy

The story was told from Willo’s point of view, his unusual way of telling the story felt disconnected first, but eventually his dialect melted with progress of story and made things more believable for readers. Willo is a strong character with a little wildness in him; he is wise and courageous enough to choose his own path. I was immediately impressed by him.
When his family was dragged away by government, he went in search for them with strange voice of a dog inside his head, giving him instructions for what to do. I loved how his character evolved and he has grown into this responsible young man who finally finds his own voice to make decision in the end. Also in his way he saved Mary, a thirteen years old girl who has lost her family just like him. Soon they developed a friendship based on sympathy, dependency and fondness. Their warm company in loneliness brought a ray of new hope, a new bonding in that cold hunger ridden dystopian world where humanity can be saved.

A world that is seemingly possible where surviving is the final word. I never thought I will like After the Snow this much. A chilling adventure of self discovery, I was absolutely thrilled by this book.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my TBR list for a while, but I have to say that the way the narrator says things is a bit off-putting. But it's good to know that it fit with the story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abdrea for stopping by. The narration is off beat, but it goes well with the story makes it more realistic and believable

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that was great and theni like to read it ihave to see about it

    ReplyDelete