Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

From Goodreads : Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.


My Rating : 3 of 5 stars



My Thoughts : Syrena Prince Galen was searching for a girl in land, who has gift of speaking with fish. When Emma bumps into Galen, he felt a connection with her but he wasn’t sure Emma is the one. The more they were getting close, the more Galen was convinced Emma is Of Poseidon who holds the key to save his kingdom. If Emma is truly Of Poseidon she has to marry Galen’s older brother Grom. Will Galen sacrifice his love to save his kingdom?

In recent days, I have been reading a lot of mermaid books, and each of them has its own quality to be better than other in many aspects. Of Poseidon was humorous, light and fun reading and I enjoyed my moment in its pages.
Based on Syrena mythology, we learned about two Syrena houses: Poseidon and Triton, their cultures and legacies, heritage and histories. Description of oceanic life was vivid and lifelike; I was completely enthralled by its beauty.
Splitting the book into first and third person narrative was kind unique in my opinion. While we read chapters from Emma’s perspective, we also experience Galen’s part of story narrated by a third person.

The Syrena prince

I have a thing for mermen; I can’t stop falling for them. Galen was one of the sexiest of their kind and I do fancy him. He is full of controlling attitude and bad ass manner which was kind of sexy in my opinion. He was concerned about well being of his kingdom as well as the fear of separation from Emma. I bet choosing between responsibilities and the girl he love was difficult for him but he never let situations get him.

The Surface Girl

While Galen was ravishing, on the other hand I found Emma average compared to him, although Emma has captivating voice of narration that is both sarcastic and determine. Asking too many questions and displaying lack of consistency was irritating, also enough reason not to enlist her as some strong female protagonist. I better call her behavior childish rather than stubborn that proves her conflicting and immature personality. What I like most about her that how she adopted her true identity and tried to adjust in her new Syrena life. That was quite impressive of her.

All Those Fishy Love

I expected more fire and sensation in romance part. Thank god it wasn’t insta-love; their mutual affection grew up with time. Galen concern in inappropriate ways leads to consequence of hurting Emma and he also received some silent treatment in return. As a Syrena royalty, Galen has habit of giving instruction to his people, but that wasn’t applicable for Emma cause she has habit of ignoring them and she did exactly what Galen told her not to. Their romantic fights were lack of proper amount of romance.
While taking about love, I don’t want to miss another couple, Galen’s bad tempered Sister Rayana and her totally sweet hubby Toraf. Rayana was practically forced into a courtship with Toraf without her knowledge, and that leads her into ignoring him. So what I like to point out is that, are Syrenas insane, or does they follow some kind of marriage tradition of middle age?
Also, Rayana got jealous to see Emma and Toraf kissing, why she was so jealous when she declared she has no intention on falling love with him? Mhan, it’s so hard to get these Syrena females.

Verdict

As I mentioned that I enjoyed the book, but according to me it’s not kind of novel you want to read twice. Of Poseidon has ingredients like good plot, action and mystery we all want to solve, but the book failed to deliver those properly. Some points I liked, some I didn’t. I wasn’t sure about reading the next one but the way Of Poseidon ended with a huge cliffhanger that I definitely don’t’ want to miss the next one.

An ARC was provided to me in exchange for honest review



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Hi Soumi! Thank you soooo much for the great review on Of Poseidon! I've had this book on my to-reads list since I absolutely love mermaid/mermen books! I am so glad we are seeing more mer tales being written and published but it's now getting hard to find really, really good ones! It makes me want to write my own!

    Anyway, thanks for the great review. I think I will wait a little bit to jump into that one. Maybe in a month or so :)

    You rawk!
    Mia at The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mia,
    Thanks that you liked my reviews and your beautiful compliment. I'm excited too that many mer books are coming. I must say Tangled Times is best of all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this great review! That cover and the summary I WANT IT NOW! However, I'll take into account your thoughts as I read it.

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete