Saturday, 16 June 2012

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Goodreads Summery : A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.


My Rating : 4.5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : My Life Next Door, one of best contemporary I have ever read. When I got the ARC, I couldn't believe my eyes that I got an actual one,not a digital, that much I wanted this book. I enjoyed this book starting from first page to the last one; it was light and fun reading for me. Everything on this book felt so real, the characters and their relationships.

Ten years of living next to Garrett’s, 17 years old Samantha always wanted to one of them, loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. One summer Jase Garrett climbed her terrace and Samantha’s whole world changes. They developed friendship, and soon fall in love; Garretts make her one of their own. One terrible accident and her whole world falls. Samantha faced the ultimate decision of choosing between Jase and her family, right and the wrong.

My life next door is one of the sweetest contemporary readings of my life, also one of the quickest casue I couldn’t put it down. I instantly wanted to become of the Garretts, what an amazing family with such caring and lovely members. Garretts might seem chaotic with eight kids, but trust me they so adorable, especially those little ones; toddler Pasty whose fist words were “boob” and “poop”, also Gorge, Man! This kid is human encyclopedia with few wrong concepts and lot of curiosities.

Samantha’s character is easy to like and easy to connect. Being under control of over protective and judgmental would –be – senator mother, Samantha’s life was suffocating, and I really really felt sorry for her. She used watch Garretts secretly and wished if she was one of them. Her mother contemned the Garretts, she would never accept her relationship with “one of those Garretts”, so Samantha kept Jase a secret from her disapproving mother.

The authors brilliantly captured few of those very common real life problems. When Samantha faced the choice between her family and her love, she struggled to be on the right side knowing if she chose one, she might lose the other. Every choice has two sides, the right and the wrong, and I bet once in our life we went through such situation when choosing one became difficult because sometimes choosing the right might take everything from our life and choosing the wrong meant living rest of our life with burden of guilt. I’m just amazed to see how beautifully the author waved difficulties and mental stress of a common life into her novel, and her attempt to picture them is absolutely praise worthy.

Moving on to the male lead, Jase is a one hundred percent real guy that every girl would love to have, and I’m no exception. He is handsome, sweet, caring, loving and…well I’m out of adjectives. How brilliantly he took care of his younger siblings, also balancing his work and love life. He is supportive, kind of guy you can blindly trust and lean on.

Over all the characters are fleshed out and the readers really get to know them and understand them. The novel is well written and I’m glad to see that the teenage drama is not overdone. The ending is bit rushed and disconnected; I felt there should have been something more. However let me assure you My life Next Door is one of those novels you must recommend to your friends, a must read for all contemporary lovers.

An ARC was provided to me in exchange for a honest review


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Hey :)
    Looks like a great book, I love family books, they are just so easy to relate too...
    I should be adding this to my to-read list but it's very hard to get paperback books here in Iraq. Is there an e-book version?
    Good Job on the review
    Check out my blog, and perhaps give me a follow at:
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could try bookdepo

      tnx4the review
      i sooo sooo sooo sooo soo want this1
      yessss yessss yesssss

      Delete
    2. Thank you guys, I'm glad that you liked my review. can't wait to hear your opinions

      Delete
    3. Also Soma, I think ebook is available, my copy was a print ARC from Publishers. But in case ebooks are not available you can try book despo, as roro suggested. And yes, following your blog.

      Delete